Study of Language G (11384.1)
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Eleni PETRAKI (Ph: +61 2 62015219 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 1 DR Eleni PETRAKI (Ph: +61 2 62015219 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (194175) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190192) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit's purpose is to raise students' awareness of the nature of language as a system. The unit introduces the major areas and fundamental concepts of modern linguistics. It covers such topics as the sound system and sound patterns (phonetics and phonology), the internal structure of words (morphology) and the rules of sentence structure (syntax). It is concerned with both the nature of language (i.e. what is common to all languages), as well as the characteristics of other languages. Examples are drawn from a variety of languages, but the focus is on English.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Describe language as a system;
2. Recognise key concepts in linguistics;
3. Identify and explain linguistic structures such as sounds and sound patterns, word and phrasal categories and rules of syntax; and
4. Apply knowledge of linguistics to language teaching and learning.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
- EDC301 Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- EDG301 Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- EDM301 Master of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- EDM302 Master of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)