Language Teaching Methodology G (11381.1)
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Elke STRACKE (Ph: +61 2 62012492 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 1 DR Elke STRACKE (Ph: +61 2 62012492 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (194106) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190184) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is an introduction to the principles of learning and teaching English and other languages in an era of globalisation and technological developments. The unit takes a practical approach, addressing a number of contemporary approaches to language pedagogy across all ages and levels. Based on the view of language as a fundamental tool for communicating meaning, the unit engages students in a discussion of the cultural and social contexts of language learning and teaching, and encourages them to take a principled, engaging, creative, and analytical approach to language pedagogy.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Describe contemporary approaches to language learning and teaching in a globalised world;
2. Explain how the key concepts and terminology in the field of language pedagogy can be applied in a variety of contexts;
3. Apply/Design language learning tasks using key concepts; and
4. Express their own beliefs about language pedagogy.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
- EDC301 Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- EDG301 Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- EDM301 Master of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- EDM302 Master of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)