Teaching Primary Humanities and Social Sciences PG (11348.1)
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Maya GUNAWARDENA (Ph: +61 2 62015174 ) ON-CAMPUS
This unit will provide opportunities for students to increase their pedagogical content knowledge of the humanities disciplines included in the F-6 Australian Curriculum. Students will critically interrogate curriculum documents to identify implications for classroom practices in Australian contexts. The unit will explore and evaluate research literature and pedagogical frameworks to identify strategies for designing meaningful and engaging learning experiences. Students will appraise pedagogies and assessments used in Australian schools through participatory and non-participatory methods. The unit will also provide opportunities for teachers to broaden their professional knowledge and practice by critically evaluating community service learning projects where students are exposed to learning beyond classroom confines. The unit will also include examination of the whole school approaches where teachers can work in collaboration with colleagues in schools and professional organisations to increase their students' HASS knowledge and skills.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Enhance their content knowledge of HASS disciplines;
2. Critically evaluate the PCK and approaches to teaching HASS in primary schools;
3. Critically interrogate curriculum documents and research literature to identify and interpret different disciplinary thinking and discipline-specific inquiry dispositions within HASS;
4. Design effective HASS learning experiences and assessment that combines theories and pedagogical frameworks and increases capacity to evaluate teaching programs; and
5. Evaluate and/or create digital (technological or virtual) and physical resources that support the design of quality learning experiences in HASS.
One 1 hour lecture and 2-3 hours of tutorials or workshops on campus per week.
This unit is only available to students enrolled in the Master of Primary Teaching course.