Teaching Primary Health and Physical Education PG (11343.1)
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 2 MS Margie APPEL (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 2 MS Margie APPEL (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184911) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit prepares students to teach health and physical education within the context of The Australian Curriculum: Health and Physical Education (AC: HPE). Overall, students will develop their pedagogical content knowledge within the context of the five propositions of the AC: HPE. In particular, students will learn appropriate Health and Physical Education content and teaching strategies for working with children from varied linguistic, cultural, religious and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Whilst learning how to teach and assess Health, students will engage with different approaches to promoting health, wellbeing and health literacy in school communities. Through this lens, key topic areas such as relationships, safety, resilience, mental health, risk taking behaviours, sexual health and physical development will be covered. In learning how to teach and assess Physical Education, students will acquire, perform and evaluate movement skills across a range of activities. They will also learn how to incorporate concepts and strategies that involve fundamental movement skills, sports specific skills and Game Sense pedagogy. These underpin the development of primary school-aged children learning to value movement as a key idea within the AC: HPE.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Create effective learning programs that develop health literacy in key areas;
2. Incorporate models of health and wellbeing promotion in classroom teaching of health content and concepts;
3. Demonstrate knowledge of key health areas and teaching approaches;
4. Confidently teach fundamental movement skills and sports specific skills using pedagogical approaches aligned with the Australian Curriculum for Health and Physical Education;
5. Use safe practices and basic skills proficiency across a wide range of physical activities;
6. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the roles and responsibilities of teaching health and physical education in a school setting including legal and ethical responsibilities; and
7. Collaborate with peers and contribute to their own and others' professional learning needs.
- UC - Canberra, Bruce
One 2 hour interactive Health workshop and one 2 hour interactive PE workshop on campus per week.
9887 The Practice (PCK) of Teaching HPE