Primary Mathematics -Teaching for Understanding G (11341.1)
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 2 DR Sitti PATAHUDDIN (Ph: +61 2 62015011 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 2 DR Sitti PATAHUDDIN (Ph: +61 2 62015011 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190073) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit considers the main content ideas and pedagogical approaches important in helping children learn mathematics with understanding. The theoretical underpinnings of this unit are Mathematical Pedagogical Content Knowledge emphasising in particular Representational Theory (modes of representation). From this theoretical perspective the major focus is on implementing the Australian National Mathematics Curriculum to enable initial teacher education students to plan for effective mathematics lessons. In order to achieve this there will be considerable emphasis on developing a knowledge of all students so as to understand individual differences including cultural differences and learning styles when learning mathematics.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of how the theoretical underpinnings of mathematics teaching and learning inform classroom practice;
2. Demonstrate familiarity with the purpose, structure and implementation of the Australian Mathematics Curriculum;
3. Select and apply appropriate pedagogical practice to help children make sense of mathematics; and
4. Design, deliver and assess a series of mathematical learning experiences for students.
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour tutorial on campus per week.