Professional Orientation (11330.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Design and the Built Environment|
UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 UC College Trimester 2 MR James YOUNG (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 UC College Trimester 1 MR James YOUNG (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 UC College Trimester 3 MR James YOUNG (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- UC College Trimester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, UCC-BRUCE (203235) - View
- UC College Trimester 3, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, UCC-BRUCE (190210) - View
- UC College Trimester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, UCC-BRUCE (190209) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
In this unit students will be introduced to the diverse opportunities in the world of design, communication and the built environment. We will consider aspects of contemporary demands of the profession including social responsibility, ethical and sustainability issues as well as contemporary modes of practice.
The unit covers the aspirations and practicalities of professional operation and considers contemporary demands for new levels of professionalism that address emergent global transformations and challenges.
Methodologically, students will examine the diverse employment opportunities available to them, including creative and entrepreneurial approaches to professional employment, and will start their career awareness and planning through approaches such as five year plans and eportfolios.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify the personal skills, capabilities and knowledge necessary to meet the work standards expected by the design and built environment professions in the workplace;
2. Map out their personal and professional trajectories over the next five years in an eportfolio;
3. Explain the interdependencies and nuances of the various design and built environment professions;
4. Identify the evolving responsibilities of the design, communications and built environment professionals to address contemporary global challenges; and
5. Identify the parameters and diverse opportunities of your discipline and to explore where and how you might play a role in it.
UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
- UC College Trimester 2, 2020
- UC College Trimester 3, 2019
UC College Trimester 1, 2019
On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- ASSESSMENT ITEM 1: Critical Analysis of Self Submission: 500 words + mappings Individual Assessment (20% )
- ASSESSMENT ITEM 2: BE Professional Profile (Project Proposal) Submission: 1500 words + 8-10 minute visual/verbal presentation (Draft 10% Final 30% )
- ASSESSMENT ITEM 3: ePortfolio Date: Week 13 (to be developed throughout the semester) Submission: 1500 words + images Individual Assessment (Draft 10% Final 30% )
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
One 1 hour seminar and 3 hours of workshops/masterclasses on-campus per week.
9799 Foundations of Professional Planning, 10334 Professional Orientation (Built Environment), 10336 Professional Orientation (Design) and 10335 Professional Orientation (Communication and Media).