Continuity Midwifery B G (11306.1)
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Midwifery|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
Using a woman-centred, primary health care approach, this unit continues to draw on midwifery, medical, pharmacological and other theory and research to assist the student in the development of midwifery competence to support women during pregnancy, labour and early parenting. The substantial practice component of this unit is designed to assist students to form useful midwifery relationships through the continuity of care model. The student will build on capabilities developed in Continuity Midwifery A PG with an emphasis on wellness and complexity in midwifery work. In this unit the student will regain their competence as a midwife for re-entry into the midwifery workforce.
This unit is co-taught with 11303 Continuity Midwifery B and 11317 Continuity Midwifery B PG.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the integration of midwifery, medical, pharmacological and other theory as it applies to the provision of midwifery care for women and their babies;
2. Show by their theoretical and practical work, evidence of competence in midwifery work in both community and hospital settings, across the continuum of care;
3. Demonstrate satisfactory achievement of the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council standards for re-entry to midwifery practice;
4. Assumes leadership of the provision of care under the supervision of a midwife;
5. Demonstrate satisfactory achievement of the NMBA National Competency Standards for the Midwife; and
6. Reflect on their renewed midwifery practice to identify and respond to learning needs.
Six hours of on-campus interactive workshops, lectures and guest speakers per week.
11305 Continuity Midwifery A G.
Must be enrolled in HLC001 Graduate Certificate in Midwifery (Re-entry).
Previous registration as a midwife with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.
11303 Continuity Midwifery B AND 11317 Continuity Midwifery B PG.