Law Honours (11289.1)
|Level:||Level 4 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
Band 3 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Law School|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 DR Fanny THORNTON (Ph: +61 2 62015488 ) RESEARCH 2021 Semester 2 DR Fanny THORNTON (Ph: +61 2 62015488 ) RESEARCH
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, RESEARCH, BRUCE (202517) - View
- Semester 2, 2020, RESEARCH, BRUCE (190061) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, RESEARCH, BRUCE (191505) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, RESEARCH, BRUCE (190060) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, RESEARCH, BRUCE (190148) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
Students will undertake a program during which they will conduct research, write, and complete an Honours thesis. Successful completion of Law Honours will have further developed their legal or socio-legal analysis capabilities, ability to think critically (and originally), and research and writing skills. They will also have learned how to work independently and with a supervisor. Successful completion of Law Honours at credit level or above means students will be eligible to graduate from their LLB with Honours if their meet all the other requirements in the Honours Policy.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate the ability to manage and complete a substantial research project under supervision;
2. Demonstrate the ability to locate and utilise the most up-to-date primary and secondary sources relevant to the research project;
3. Demonstrate knowledge of existing research paradigms and methodologies as reflected in an explicit justification of the choice of paradigm and methodology;
4. Demonstrate the capacity to engage in critical thinking in both the evaluation of research literature and the formulation of original arguments; and
5. Demonstrate mastery of written expression through (a) employing the basic principles of effective, grammatical and argumentative writing, (b) polishing multiple drafts under supervision, and (c) complying with the Australian Guide to Legal Citation.
- UC - Canberra, Bruce
Meetings with supervisor and/or Unit Convener as required.
Students require a GPA of 5.0 to enrol in this unit and must have passed unit 11272 Law and Justice Research Project.
Students also require permission from the Unit Convener to enrol.
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC01 Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARSC02 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Laws
- NPSC02 Bachelor of Forensic Studies/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCB101 Bachelor of Laws
- SCAR03 Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Design
- SCSC02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCSC01 Bachelor of Science in Psychology/ Bachelor of Laws
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws