Intellectual Property Law (11288.1)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Law School|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 1 DR Bruce Baer ARNOLD (Ph: +61 2 62012710 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184092) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces students to intellectual property law principles, concepts and practices. It centres on the dynamic fields of copyright, trade mark, and patent law, with particular emphasis on the way in which intellectual property rights are regulated in the digital environment and global economy. The unit includes consideration of intellectual property law in relation to unfair competition, consumer protection, publicity rights and Indigenous culture.
This unit may be co-taught with a G version of the unit.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Explain the role and nature of intellectual property law as essential and evolving areas of Australian law (including development of that law in response to technological change);
2. Explain the exercise of rights in this field, including assignment of rights, licences, employment undertakings and other undertakings affecting such rights;
3. Explain the essential principles governing application of intellectual property law within a national and international context; and
4. Apply legal communication, research and analysis skills to intellectual property principles and practice.
One 2 hour lecture and one 1 hour problem-based learning activity on campus per week.
Students must have passed 36 credit points of study including one of the following: 11251 Foundations of Law and Justice OR 11257 Law and Society OR 11220 Business Law.
7035 Intellectual Property Law
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC01 Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARSC02 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Laws
- NPSC02 Bachelor of Forensic Studies/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCB101 Bachelor of Laws
- SCAR03 Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Design
- SCSC02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCSC01 Bachelor of Science in Psychology/ Bachelor of Laws
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws