Lawyers and Professional Responsibility (11273.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
Band 3 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Law School|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 MR Scott PEARSALL (Ph: +61 2 62068987 ) FLEXIBLE
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (204038) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (191504) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190008) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit aims to prepare students to join the legal profession by exposing them to the history, regulation and professional responsibilities of legal practitioners. The unit encompasses professional conduct obligations and discipline. It also provides students with a basis on which to approach and manage professional and ethical conflicts as junior practitioners.
This unit may be co-taught with a G version of the unit.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify, describe and explain the importance of lawyers' obligations to the administration of justice, the Courts, clients, the profession and the community by reference to both the common law and rules of professional conduct;
2. Identify, reflect on and manage ethical dilemmas likely to arise in practice; and
3. Develop a professional identity through an e-portfolio.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour interactive workshop on campus per week.
This unit is only available to students in a Bachelor of Laws course.
Must have passed or be currently enrolled in 11251 Foundations of Law and Justice.
7043 Lawyers and Professional Responsibility
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC01 Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARSC02 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Laws
- NPSC02 Bachelor of Forensic Studies/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCB101 Bachelor of Laws
- SCAR03 Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Design
- SCSC02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCSC01 Bachelor of Science in Psychology/ Bachelor of Laws
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws