Human Rights in Context (11266.1)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Law School|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Fanny THORNTON (Ph: +61 2 62015488 ) ON-CAMPUS
This unit provides students with an understanding of the domestic and international human rights law frameworks, as well as the interaction between the two. It considers key instruments of human rights law and examines in some detail the key institutions and processes that provide juridical oversight in the human rights sphere. It also considers a number of contemporary human rights issues from the perspective of human rights law and institutions.
This unit may be co-taught with a PG version of the unit.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Analyse and apply norms of human rights law as arising out of the domestic and international human rights frameworks;
2. Identify appropriate solutions applied to real-world rights scenarios and challenges; and
3. Apply skills of: - Legal communication, research, writing and advocacy, - Legal problem solving, and - Legal systems and principles.
One 2 hour lecture and one 1 hour problem-based learning activity on campus per week.
Must have passed at least 36 credit points including either 11251 Foundations of Law and Justice OR 11257 Law and Society.
7033 Human Rights Law
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC01 Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARSC02 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Laws
- NPSC02 Bachelor of Forensic Studies/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCB001 Bachelor of Justice Studies
- SCNP01 Bachelor of Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- SCB101 Bachelor of Laws
- SCAR03 Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Design
- SCSC02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCSC01 Bachelor of Science in Psychology/ Bachelor of Laws
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws