Advocacy and Communication (11258.1)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Law School|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Tony KRONE (Ph: +61 2 62012676 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 1 DR Tony KRONE (Ph: +61 2 62012676 ) INTENSIVE
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (191447) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (198966) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184108) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
The unit introduces students to the advocacy and professional communication skills required by legal and justice practitioners, with particular emphasis on the skills required for effective management of dispute resolution. During this unit, module(s) will be selected from the following: professional communication skills; client interview skills; communication skills during different types of dispute resolution processes (e.g. self-representation, mediation, conciliation, arbitration, tribunal appearances; witness preparation; basic courtroom advocacy and related written documents (e.g. letters, submissions, appeals).
This unit may be co-taught with a G version of the unit.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate effective oral and written professional communication skills relevant to the law and justice sector;
2. Interpret documents related to formal dispute resolution processes;
3. Develop and practice advocacy skills, including research, analysis, the application of legal principles and the development of oral and written legal arguments, to complex cases in the law and justice sector;
4. Demonstrate appropriate workplace and courtroom etiquette, interpersonal attitudes and ethical behaviour; and
5. Perform professional work in a team, while under pressure.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 1, 2020
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- On-Campus Attendance is expected in Set Time Blocks (INTENSIVE)
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2020
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC01 Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARSC02 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Laws
- NPSC02 Bachelor of Forensic Studies/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCB001 Bachelor of Justice Studies
- SCNP01 Bachelor of Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- SCB101 Bachelor of Laws
- SCAR03 Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Design
- SCSC02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCSC01 Bachelor of Science in Psychology/ Bachelor of Laws
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws