Criminal Justice (11256.1)
|Level:||Introductory Unit Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||School of Law & Justice|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 2 MS Anya AIDMAN (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 2 DR Benedict SHEEHY (Ph: +61 2 62015770 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184075) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is concerned with the role of criminal law in the regulation of social order and the administration of the criminal justice sector. It provides an introductory understanding of criminal law and criminal processes. Students will gain a basic understanding of the principles of criminal law, including the principles of criminal responsibility and the processes used to prosecute a criminal charge and the criminal justice system actors involved. Students will gain an awareness of the most common criminal law problems and how criminal cases are processed. The unit will discuss the intersection of criminal law with civil law remedies.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Describe and interpret the scope, nature and content of criminal law in the Australian legal system;
2. Identify and apply the basic principles of the criminal law;
3. Explain and anaylse the role that the criminal law plays in social regulation;
4. Describe and interpret the roles played by justice sector actors in administering the criminal justice system; and
5. Identify and analyse the different pathways that exist for the disposal of criminal cases.
One 2 hour lecture and one 1 hour tutorial on campus per week.
11251 Foundations of Law and Justice
9015 Criminal Process
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC01 Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARSC02 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Laws
- NPSC02 Bachelor of Forensic Studies/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCB001 Bachelor of Justice Studies
- SCNP01 Bachelor of Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- SCB101 Bachelor of Laws
- SCAR03 Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Design
- SCSC02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCSC01 Bachelor of Science in Psychology/ Bachelor of Laws
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws