|Level:||Advanced Unit Level|
|HECS Bands:||2, 3|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||School of Business|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Abu MOLLIK (Ph: +61 2 62012019 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184835) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is designed to develop students' understanding of various derivative instruments including futures and options contracts and their use in managing risk. This unit provides an overview of options, futures, forwards and swaps on a range of underlying assets/commodities including stocks, interest rates, foreign exchange as well as more exotic instruments such commodity derivatives. The models used for pricing these instruments and techniques used for risk management are also included.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Analyse and explain how derivatives, such as options, futures, forwards, and swaps, are structured and operate;
2. Use various models to price forward contracts, futures, swaps and options contracts;
3. Develop and apply option trading strategies; and
4. Select and apply appropriate derivatives for various types of risk management.
One 2 hour lecture and one 1 hour tutorial on-campus per week.
11215 Business Finance
School/college level mathematics and/or statistics, accounting or economics knowledge.