Accounting and Decision Support Systems (11216.2)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|HECS Bands:||2, 3|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Business School|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 MR Mark HUGHES (Ph: +61 2 62012695 ) ON-CAMPUS
UCI - SVKM's Institute of International Studies, Mumbai
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Global Pathways Program Semester 1 MR Mark HUGHES (Ph: +61 2 62012695 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Global Pathways Program Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, SVKM (198818) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (197485) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184837) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit has three major aims. The first is designed to increase students' skills in using accounting packages. Students will also be introduced to a range of issues relating to the development and use of accounting information systems (AIS), such as the interaction between the AIS and an entity's enterprise resource planning system, systems documentation, internal controls and governance issues. Thirdly, the unit aims to develop technical skills in Microsoft Excel in order to build decision-support models, evaluate their outputs and identify the impacts of assumptions built into these models.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Produce financial reports using accounting software;
2. Assess IT governance frameworks;
3. Explain the importance of internal controls and design internal controls that cover key business processes and support the achievement of goals;
4. Develop complex spreadsheet-based decision support models for a variety of problems; and
5. Identify assumptions used in decision support models and evaluate their impact.
- UC - Canberra, Bruce
- UCI - SVKM's Institute of International Studies, Mumbai
One 2 hour lecture and one 2 hour tutorial on-campus per week.
11212 Accounting Systems and Practices.
A sound understanding of financial accounting, particularly how to journalise transactions and events.
6348 Information Systems in Organisations.