Economic Development (11209.1)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|HECS Bands:||2, 3|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra School of Politics, Economics and Society|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 1 DR Tesfaye GEBREMEDHIN (Ph: +61 2 62012189 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 1 DR Tesfaye GEBREMEDHIN (Ph: +61 2 62012189 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184620) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit examines economic problems and developmental issues facing contemporary developing nations, such as issues of poverty, inequality, economic growth, population growth and foreign aid. We will also explore alternative theories of economic development and their relevance to developing countries today.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify and analyse the economic causes of underdevelopment and the policies that can be used to address the issue;
2. Measure poverty and inequality and identify their determinants;
3. Describe economic disadvantage of indigenous Australians;
4. Explain the role of education, health, population growth and credit markets in the development process;
5. Analyse how development economics informs the practical implementation of development policies in varying local and global contexts;
6. Communicate the outcome of research through written reports or oral presentation; and
7. Reflect upon their unit experience, including theories, discussions and feedback, and how it relates to the goals set out in their professional portfolio.
One 2 hour lecture and one 1 hour seminar on-campus per week.
11175 Introduction to Economics.
Basic economic concepts covered in Introduction to Economics.
- MGB104 Bachelor of Business (International Business)
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- MGIT03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Business Informatics
- MGAR01 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- MGAR02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Design
- MGIT02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Information Technology
- MGSC02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGB302 Bachelor of Commerce (Business Economics)
- MGIT01 Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Information Technology
- MGSC01 Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Laws
- SCMG01 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Business
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- SCB301 Bachelor of Social and Economic Policy (Economic Policy)