Creative and Critical Thinking for Problem Solving (11201.2)
|Level:||Intermediate Unit Level|
|HECS Bands:||2, 3|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||School of Business|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 MS Diane PHILLIPS (Ph: +61 2 62063815 ) INTENSIVE
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, INTENSIVE, BRUCE (192669) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit covers a wide range of creative and critical thinking for problem solving. Methods including problem definition techniques, idea generation methods, and the evaluation and implementation of ideas. Topics include creativity and its importance in business; blocks to and theories of, creativity; objective finding, fact finding and problem definition; mind mapping; analogies and morphological analysis; brainstorming; lateral thinking; evaluating and implementing new ideas; and dealing with resistance to change.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Recognise the need for critical and creative problem solving techniques in the contemporary business environment;
2. Develop and apply critical thinking skills for problem identification;
3. Demonstrate an application of knowledge of the major creative problem solving methods in practice;
4. Discriminate between the kinds of situations in which different methods of creative problem solving are most appropriate;
5. Identify important issues in overcoming resistance to change and implementing new ideas in organisations; and
6. Apply critical thinking to improve reflective practice.
Intensive interactive workshops on-campus and online follow up weekly (6 hours x 5 days).
- MGB101 Bachelor of Business (Entrepreneurship & Innovation)
- MGB105 Bachelor of Business (Management)
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- MGIT03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Business Informatics
- MGAR01 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- MGAR02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Design
- MGIT02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Information Technology
- MGSC02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- SCMG01 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Business