Business Start Up Essentials (11199.2)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
Band 3 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Business School|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 DR Majharul TALUKDER (Ph: +61 2 62012702 ) FLEXIBLE
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (204027) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (197645) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184555) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is designed as an overview course that will expose students to business terminology, concepts and current business issues. The intent is to develop a viable business vocabulary, foster critical and analytical thinking, and refine business decision-making skills. This will be acquired through course work and assessment. These skills will be acquired through group work, reading materials, exercises, discussion, listening and writing and research assignments in this course that simulate the workplace today.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Explain and interpret and apply leadership and management skills important toward the establishment of a successful business;
2. Illustrate how economic indicators shape business decisions;
3. Identify and analyse business cycles and models;
4. Identify and interpret the important elements in formulating and evaluating an entrepreneurial business plan for a start-up organisation or for a new project in an established organisation;
5. Identify and interpret the legal requirements of business; and
6. Apply several financial ratios, balance sheet and income statement to business decision making for future performance of a company.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Semester 1, 2020
Three hours of on-campus lectures and interactive workshops per week.
- MGB101 Bachelor of Business (Entrepreneurship & Innovation)
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- MGIT03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Business Informatics
- MGAR01 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Design
- MGIT02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Information Technology
- SCMG01 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Business