Integrating and Aligning Human Capital (11196.2)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Business School|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Doug JACKMAN (Ph: +61 2 62015896 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 1 DR Doug JACKMAN (Ph: +61 2 62015896 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (198182) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184558) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit enables students to demonstrate knowledge of the strategy alignment and practice integration model of strategic human resource management and to use this model in analysing its presence and contribution to business and corporate level strategy and organisational performance in a given dynamic organisational context. This unit also focuses on the evolution of thinking about strategic human resource management, the role of the HR professional in the strategy formulation and implementation process, and the challenge of integrating and aligning HR practice and strategy with business and corporate level strategy.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand the theory and concepts associated with strategic human resource management including the developments in this evolving field of study;
2. Understand the role and competencies of an HR professional in HRM strategy, reflect on the learning and development relevant to the student's professional life, and curate evidence for a learning portfolio;
3. Analyse interpret and extend the research on human and social capital and strategic HRM in relation to change and improvement in employee wellbeing, operational and corporate performance;
4. Understand, apply and advocate sound ethical principles in context and the use of more complex HR metrics in evidence-based decision-making relating to investment in or the evaluation of HRM practice;
5. Analyse the key factors driving organisational change, changes in the future of work and the workforce (including inclusion, ICT and internationalisation) in a given context in response to a dynamic organisational environment;
6. Understand and apply industry research on strategic HRM in a given organisational context and identifying the scope for improvements in HRM practices and HRM strategy formulation and implementation; and
7. Demonstrate clearly in writing the results of research and analysis of organisational HRM capability in a dynamic organisational content.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 1, 2020
On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Theory Concept Submissions (Each Theory Concept Submission is worth 15 marks for a total of 45 marks for the assessment task. )
- Reflective Analysis (This assessment task has two components. Each component attracts a maximum of 10 marks for a total of 20 marks. )
- Applied Research Project (The assignment is worth 35% )
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 1, 2020
Three hours of an on-campus interactive workshop and an online lecture per week.
11191 Managing Human Capital.
Understanding of theory and practice in human capital and human resource management.
- MGB103 Bachelor of Business (Human Resource Management)
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- MGIT03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Business Informatics
- MGAR01 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Design
- MGIT02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Information Technology
- SCMG01 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Business