Global Perspectives on Gender, Sex and Sexuality (11146.1)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Tahmina RASHID (Ph: +61 2 62012273 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190314) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit explores the diverse experiences of gender and sexuality focusing on the cultural experiences of people across the globe. It examines the intersection of sexual identity with race, class, and ethnicity. The unit will enable students to critically engage with the impact of socio-economic status and faith-based practices on the lived experiences of people. It will also examine popular representations and stereotypes around sexuality and gender roles. The unit will enable students to critically reflect on the representation of gendered bodies and its impact on the agency of people, by examining some cultural practices of past and present.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Debate and evaluate social construction of gender and sexuality identity across cultures;
2. Analyse the intersection of gender and sexuality with race, class, ethnicity and religion; and
3. Critically reflect on the impact of stereotypes and popular representations of gender and sexuality on people.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 2, 2019
On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Assessment – 1 Reflective Journal Assessment-2 Podcast on Cross Cultural understanding of gender and sexuality Assessment-3 Creative Response and Rationale ()
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 2, 2019
Three hours of 1.5 hour lecture and 1.5 hour tutorial on-campus per week.
11129 Cultures and Diversity
- ARB005 Bachelor of Arts (Global Studies)
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management