Documentary Production (11143.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Susan THWAITES (Ph: +61 2 62015720 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 DR Susan THWAITES (Ph: +61 2 62015720 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190149) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
Documentary Production integrates theory and practice to provide a critical understanding of the diversity of the documentary form. Students work in small groups to produce a series of films based in actuality and so discover the storytelling power and variety of the documentary film.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify documentary forms and production techniques;
2. Research and write documentary proposals;
3. Produce, direct, film and edit documentary productions; and
4. Identify ethical issues related to documentary production.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 2, 2019
On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Process Documentary 2-4 mins (30% )
- Biographical Documentary (Two Parts) Part A: Treatment & one sentence/one paragraph synopsis (weighting 10%) Part B: Biographical Documentary 5-7 minutes (weighting 40%) (recommended length 5-7 minutes - can be longer with consultation with your tutor) (group project) (Treatment - 20% Biographical Documentary - 30% )
- Weekly Workshop Productions - 1-2 minute short Documentaries (20% (best two crew roles used to make this sum - see assessment details below) )
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 2, 2019
One 1 hour lecture on campus per week and one 3 hour workshop on-campus for 9 weeks.
11138 Films Tools and a Meta-Narrative Vocabulary OR 11080 Digital Media Fundamentals
Basic camera operation and operational understanding of a non-linear editing application.
7883 Documentary Production
- ARB004 Bachelor of Arts (Film Production)
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management