Australian National Cinema (11141.1)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 MS Nicole MITCHELL (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Winter Term DR Susan THWAITES (Ph: +61 2 62015720 ) ONLINE 2021 Semester 1 MS Nicole MITCHELL (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Winter Term DR Susan THWAITES (Ph: +61 2 62015720 ) ONLINE
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193811) - View
- Winter Term, 2019, ONLINE, BRUCE (192434) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190150) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit looks at an Australian as an expression of national identity that encompasses British settler and Indigenous identities, colonial and postcolonial Australia and the migrant experience. The emphasis will be on identifying the concerns, interests and ideologies embedded and embodied in Australian films made as a response to the concerns and interest of a nation. Through screenings and analysis of specific films from the last 100 years of Australian cinema, this unit plots the concerns of a nation, dealing with issues of identity, mateship, the larrikin, post colonialism, assimilation and multiculturalism and reconciliation.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Critically analyse screen theory in regards to Australian National Cinema (MLO 1,);
2. Identify and respond to overarching themes within an Australian national identity as portrayed by an Austray'an National Cinema; and
3. Reflect on your own creative practice and where it sits within the theory of Australian National Cinema and notions of identity, culture and ideology (MLO 1, 2).
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 1, 2020
On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Final Creative Response and Rationale OR Academic Film Review - (Students choose ONE of the two options above - DO NOT DO BOTH) (50% )
- Your best three posts from your on-line tutorial assigned group for topics from Weeks 1-6 (30% )
- Your best two posts from your on-line tutorial groups from Topics 7-10 (20% )
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
Winter Term, 2019
All Content is Delivered Online (ONLINE)
- Formative assessment - Opinion OR Reply Post for EITHER Topic 1 OR Topic 2 - Found in Week 1's Module on Canvas (Formative Assessment - no grade )
- Opinion OR Reply Post for Either Topic 3 or Topic 4 - all material found on Canvas Modules (25 )
- Opinion OR Reply Post - for Topic 5 OR Topic 6 - all material found on Canvas site. (25 )
- Final Creative Response and Rationale OR Academic Film Review - (Students choose ONE of the two options above - DO NOT DO BOTH) (50 )
- All Content is Delivered Online (ONLINE)
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2020
One 3 hour lecture/screening and one 1 hour tutorial on-campus per week.
9016 Australian National Cinema.
- ARB004 Bachelor of Arts (Film Production)
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management