Sound Design (11134.1)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR David SPENCER (Ph: +61 2 62068957 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 DR David SPENCER (Ph: +61 2 62068957 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (195982) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184528) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
From film to animation and games, sound is an essential part of modern media, yet its importance is often overshadowed by our heavy bias for visual media. In this unit we look at the theory and practice of sound in digital media. Working with modern audio tools and techniques we will develop the skills and knowledge that are needed for the creation, editing and integration of digital audio for stand-alone and mixed media works.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Creatively plan and produce soundscapes and soundtracks in response to a brief;
2. Apply technical skills to record, edit, mix and process sound;
3. Critique and apply principles and techniques of sound composition and design; and
4. Reflect on and analyse sound as a communicative medium.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
One 1 hour instruction, one 2 hour practical laboratory and 5 hours of technical exercises and readings per week.
11013 Pixels and Polygons.
11132 Engineering Reality.
7886 Sound Design and Production.
- ARB003 Bachelor of Arts (Digital Media)
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- ARB301 Bachelor of Digital Design (Digital Media)
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science