Character Design and Animation (11133.1)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 1 MR Amr TAWFIK (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 1 MR Amr TAWFIK (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190464) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
In this unit we look at the tools and techniques that are used to create animated three-dimensional characters. Starting with ideation, we move from character concept through modelling and rigging and on to animation, exploring techniques including inverse kinematics and motion capture. This technical process will be used as the basis for a structured exploration of the ways that character animation has evolved and the knowledge that animators use to bring their characters to life.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Research, conceptualise and visualise an original character design for use in real-time or pre-rendered media;
2. Apply complex polygonal modelling and texturing techniques to realise the character in 3D;
3. Apply rigging and motion capture to animate the character; and
4. Critique professional character animation techniques and principles through analysis of games and/or animated media.
One 1 hour instructions on-campus, one 2 hour practical laboratory on-campus, 5 hours of technical exercises and readings per week.
11130 Media Worlds.
11131 Space, Time and Form.
- ARB003 Bachelor of Arts (Digital Media)
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management