Media Worlds (11130.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Sam HINTON (Ph: +61 2 62015090 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 1 DR Sam HINTON (Ph: +61 2 62015090 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193688) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184524) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
At their best, stories can create imaginary worlds in the mind of the reader. Technologies - be they printed pages or computers - mediate ideas and open new possibilities for authors to present their stories to their readers or viewers. In this unit we look at the ways that stories are mediated by modern technologies and consider how technology changes stories. Rather than working purely in the realm of theory, we explore and engage with concepts by building stories in media technologies. This unit complements Pixels and Polygons by encouraging students to develop strategies for self-directed learning of unfamiliar technologies.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Analyse media artefacts to identify how narrative is constructed;
2. Apply knowledge of visual narrative conventions to construct coherent narrative sequences using digital media technologies; and
3. Analyse key narrative elements and adapt them for visual presentation.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
One 1 hour instruction on-campus, one 2 hour practical laboratory on-campus and 5 hours of technical exercises and readings per week.
- ARB003 Bachelor of Arts (Digital Media)
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- 323JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Creative Arts)
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management