Media Worlds (11130.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 Mr Greg CHANDLER (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 DR Sam HINTON (Ph: +61 2 62015090 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (204220) - View
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (199152) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193688) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184524) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
At their best, stories can create imaginary worlds in the mind of the reader. Technologies - be they printed pages or computers - mediate ideas and open new possibilities for authors to present their stories to their readers or viewers. In this unit we look at the ways that stories are mediated by modern technologies and consider how technology changes stories. Rather than working purely in the realm of theory, we explore and engage with concepts by building stories in media technologies. This unit complements Pixels and Polygons by encouraging students to develop strategies for self-directed learning of unfamiliar technologies.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Analyse media artefacts to identify how narrative is constructed;
2. Apply knowledge of visual narrative conventions to construct coherent narrative sequences using digital media technologies; and
3. Analyse key narrative elements and adapt them for visual presentation.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
- UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
One 1 hour instruction on-campus, one 2 hour practical laboratory on-campus and 5 hours of technical exercises and readings per week.
- ARB003 Bachelor of Arts (Digital Media)
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- ARB301 Bachelor of Digital Design (Digital Media)
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- 321JA Bachelor of Primary Education
- 323JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Creative Arts)
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science