Exploring Digital Culture and Heritage (11124.1)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Denise THWAITES (Ph: +61 2 62015733 ) FLEXIBLE
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (184520) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit will examine how digital tools and techniques can be used to extend our understanding of cultural heritage theory and practice. From the now familiar world of blogs and social media, through to big data and computer vision, technology is changing the way we work within cultural heritage. Students will investigate these new methods of research and representation, analysing their implications and experimenting with data, text, and images. Through practical exercises using a range of digital tools, students will gain skills, confidence, and critical insights into the future of cultural heritage practice.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Categorise and compare a range of digital tools and techniques, relating them to needs and opportunities within the cultural heritage sector;
2. Analyse the political, social, and ethical implications of the use of digital technologies within cultural heritage research and practice;
3. Employ a variety of digital tools and techniques to analyse, enrich, and visualise cultural heritage data; and
4. Use digital tools to engage audiences with cultural heritage collections and projects.
- UC - Canberra, Bruce
Three hours of a flexible workshop/seminar per week.
11128 Connections to Country.
11121 Understanding Cultural and Heritage Values.
- ARB002 Bachelor of Arts (Culture and Heritage)
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management