Indigenous Cultures and Digital Contexts (11122.1)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 MS Ashley HARRISON (Ph: +61 2 62012488 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193809) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (192129) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces students to key theoretical and practical issues relating to the documentation, storage, dissemination and use of Indigenous cultural material in an online world. Students will critically examine a range of sites, tools and technologies to understand both the limits and assumptions of non-indigenous knowledge management practices, and new possibilities for Indigenous access and control. Through practical projects students will learn how digital technologies can reveal bias and absence within the cultural record, and provide platforms for new collaborative projects.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Clearly articulate issues relating to the documentation, management, and use of Indigenous knowledge and culture in an online environment;
2. Reflect on the connections between non-indigenous knowledge management practices and Indigenous understandings of access and control;
3. Apply digital tools and technologies to analyse cultural collections; and
4. Evaluate ways in which digital platforms can be used by Indigenous communities to document and empower their culture.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour tutorial per week.
- ARB002 Bachelor of Arts (Culture and Heritage)
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management