Word and Image (11119.1)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Jordan WILLIAMS (Ph: +61 2 62012522 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 1 DR Jordan WILLIAMS (Ph: +61 2 62012522 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193682) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184513) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
In this unit students examine the relationship between image and word and apply their learning by composing work in a variety of forms. Students explore four thematic streams: the influence of visual art on writing and of writing on visual art; imagery and poetry; ekphrasis; graphic forms including novels and non-fiction graphic works and screen based, digital works. Students produce an example influenced by each theme.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Design and/or write works influenced by art from other cultures;
2. Critically respond to and compose poetry that employs poetic imagery;
3. Write a short ekphrastic work in prose or poetry;
4. Compose a short digital creative work using words and visual imagery; and
5. Critically engage with creative works featuring and/or influenced by image and reflect on the impact of the message.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour workshop on-campus per week.
11115 From Hungry Caterpillars to Hunger Games.
- ARB001 Bachelor of Arts (Creative Writing)
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts