Writing Self, Writing Place (11118.1)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Jennifer CRAWFORD (Ph: +61 2 62015282 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193808) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190524) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
Where does the concept of place meet ways of being in the world? How do we write about land, the environment, the city? How can the Australian Indigenous term - Country - contribute to ways of understanding story and self? This unit introduces students to different understandings and expressions of story in the context of lived experience, culture and place. Through the studies of various texts, students will be exposed to how other writers and artists have conceptualised and represented these intertwined ideas. Students will use these studies not only as a way of broadening their knowledge, but as a way of developing their own preferred writing practice.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify and critique different concepts of writing about place and self and how they manifest as literary genres;
2. Develop written work that creatively engages with country, place and self; and
3. Critically reflect on representations of lived experience, environment, place and self.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
Three hours consisting of an on-campus lecture and tutorial per week.
Must have passed 24 credit points.
- ARB001 Bachelor of Arts (Creative Writing)
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management