Poetry and the Imagination (11117.1)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Owen BULLOCK (Ph: +61 2 62015287 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 DR Owen BULLOCK (Ph: +61 2 62015287 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (195974) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184511) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
Poetry involves an intense and memorable use of language. We will explore how poems convey meaning through their imagery, music and structure. You will learn how to craft your own poems and act to develop your own poetic voice. You will emerge from the unit with a portfolio of poetry and imaginative work.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Critique and craft language with attention to what is vivid, musical and memorable;
2. Learn by heart and recite a celebrated poem;
3. Work collaboratively in order to critique, appraise and edit poems; and
4. Reflect upon and adjust to peer critique and self-reflection of poetic work.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour tutorial on-campus per week.
11113 Introduction to Creative Writing.
9308 Poetry and the Imagination.
- ARB001 Bachelor of Arts (Creative Writing)
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts