|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Owen BULLOCK (Ph: +61 2 62015287 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193681) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184509) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces students to writing for the ear and eye as a screenplay rather than writing to be read as prose. It concentrates on the principles and practicalities of dramatic writing for the screen with specific application to writing short film. The approach to this is three-pronged: analysis of the theories and principles of narrative drama and how they are applied in screenwriting; screenwriting techniques and practice; and criticism of students' own work and analysis exercises in tutorial workshops.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Analyse and deconstruct screen dramas in terms of structure, character and narrative principles;
2. Apply these principles when creating original dramatic texts for the screen;
3. Use industry production conventions and formats in creating dramatic texts for the screen; and
4. Evaluate and edit their own and others' work.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
Three hours of a 1 hour lecture and 2 hour tutorial workshop on-campus per week.
11114 Writing, Rewriting.
8150 Introduction to Screenwriting AND 6879 Scriptwriting 1.
- ARB001 Bachelor of Arts (Creative Writing)
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management