Introduction to Creative Writing (11113.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Jennifer CRAWFORD (Ph: +61 2 62015282 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193680) - View
- Winter Term, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (192534) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184506) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit engages students with diverse forms of imaginative writing, while introducing concepts that are core to sound creative development. As students read and write poetry, fiction, essays, screenplays and multimedia texts they foster skills in language, narrative and creativity that can be applied beyond the given form and beyond the classroom. Students will be encouraged to develop their writer's eye, to keep a writing journal, and to make disciplined and inventive use of the revision process. The unit will introduce students to the professional field of writing and publishing, and will also develop their abilities to create and participate in a fertile writing community.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Write short creative works for different audiences;
2. Utilise and develop individual and collaborative strategies for creative productivity;
3. Produce work to a professional standard; and
4. Discover and engage with the communities and marketplaces that support contemporary writing.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Winter Term, 2019
- Semester 1, 2019
1 hour on-campus lecture and 2 hour on-campus tutorial.
8304 Introduction to Creative Writing.
- ARB001 Bachelor of Arts (Creative Writing)
- 912AA Bachelor of Arts in Architecture
- 793AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies
- 992AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 818AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Commerce
- 221JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 222JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 223JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 224JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 280JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- 369JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Journalism
- 821AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 822AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Management
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 357JA Bachelor of Building and Construction Management
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- 206JA Bachelor of Design
- 215JA Bachelor of Heritage, Museums and Conservation
- 288JA Bachelor of Industrial Design
- 289JA Bachelor of Interior Architecture
- 320JA Bachelor of Journalism
- 290JA Bachelor of Landscape Design
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- 321JA Bachelor of Primary Education
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 984AA Bachelor of Writing
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management