Reading Culture, Curating Culture (11110.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Denise THWAITES (Ph: +61 2 62015733 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193678) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184497) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is about taking a critical approach to the cultural forces and ideas that surround us. In contemporary society, we live in a web of such forces; A curated exhibition, a political or public information campaign, a well-written book, poem, story or television show, an engaging computer game or an effective film all serve to shape culture. These myriad stories don't simply reflect the world in which we see ourselves, but can also be used to limit what we see and our ability to imagine alternatives. In this unit, we will examine and analyse the ways and means by which cultural products are both shaped and 'read'. From Indigenous storytelling traditions to TED talks, to the algorithms and search personalisation tools that shape our digital lives, we will turn a critical eye upon the narratives that claim and build power over the people who produce and consume them.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify the role specific narratives play in shaping the global and cultural and indigenous contexts in which the students' chosen fields of practice operate;
2. Undertake effective communication of an idea or concept central to their chosen field of practice, using a communication medium appropriate to that field; and
3. Engage with industry, through wide exposure to working professionals in in the creative and cultural sectors.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
To be advised.
- ARB001 Bachelor of Arts (Creative Writing)
- ARB002 Bachelor of Arts (Culture and Heritage)
- ARB003 Bachelor of Arts (Digital Media)
- ARB004 Bachelor of Arts (Film Production)
- ARB005 Bachelor of Arts (Global Studies)
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- 323JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Creative Arts)
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management