It Must Be True: Knowledge, Culture and Creativity (11109.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Jordan WILLIAMS (Ph: +61 2 62012522 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184496) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
Humans tend to assume that what we know is 'true' simply because of the fact that we 'know' it. In this unit, we will interrogate the notions of truth, knowledge and knowing, and explore the idea of cultural relativity by challenging our own beliefs. We will look at the various means and strategies through which knowledge is generated, and will examine the ways that knowledge is transmitted, re-enforced or challenged. Recognising that 'knowledge' and 'truth' are ideas more often contested than not, we will engage with this idea creatively by developing and exploring fictional and historical worlds that establish their own truths - and lies.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify and explain key research methodologies and ideas relevant to the creative and cultural fields;
2. Interrogate and interpret a range of knowledge systems relevant to their chosen field of creative or cultural practice;
3. Research global and cultural contexts in a chosen field of practice using valid methodologies; and
4. Explain indigenous perspectives on knowledge (subject to consultation).
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 2, 2019
On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Assignment 1: Annotated bibliography of three discipline related articles (Formative assessment – mandatory but not allocated marks.) (0 )
- Assessment 2: Research plan (30 )
- Assessment 3 - Active participation in mandatory tutorials (20 )
- Assignment 4: Final research essay (50 )
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 2, 2019
To be advised.
- ARB001 Bachelor of Arts (Creative Writing)
- ARB002 Bachelor of Arts (Culture and Heritage)
- ARB003 Bachelor of Arts (Digital Media)
- ARB004 Bachelor of Arts (Film Production)
- ARB005 Bachelor of Arts (Global Studies)
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management