Big Stories: Culture, Memory and Power (11108.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Annie MCCARTHY (Ph: +61 2 62015719 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Winter Term DR Annie MCCARTHY (Ph: +61 2 62015719 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 1 DR Annie MCCARTHY (Ph: +61 2 62015719 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Winter Term DR Annie MCCARTHY (Ph: +61 2 62015719 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193677) - View
- Winter Term, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (191830) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184495) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
Human beings engage with multiple narratives every minute of every day: narratives are political, historical, interactive, affective and effective - they are used to shape culture, to cast and re-cast history, and to form and manipulate identity. This unit uses a multi-disciplinary approach to explore and interrogate the role and function of narrative as a form of cultural memory and a social technology. It will examine the ways in which narratives aren't just 'told', but are lived and represented, and will provide students with both foundational knowledge in the Arts and Humanities and an ongoing context for their studies in their specialist majors and the Bachelor of Arts.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Interpret and analyse key global, cultural, political, economic and historical narratives;
2. Creatively apply key narratives to a chosen field of creative and cultural practice;
3. Integrate key narratives in changing professional and cultural environments; and
4. Critically examine narratives on indigeneity (subject to consultation).
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Winter Term, 2019
- Semester 1, 2019
To be advised.
- ARB001 Bachelor of Arts (Creative Writing)
- ARB002 Bachelor of Arts (Culture and Heritage)
- ARB003 Bachelor of Arts (Digital Media)
- ARB004 Bachelor of Arts (Film Production)
- ARB005 Bachelor of Arts (Global Studies)
- ARSC03 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- SCAR02 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Arts
- 323JA Bachelor of Primary Education (Creative Arts)
- ARMG02 Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management