The Sports Journalist: Ethical, Lawful and Professional (11095.1)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 MR Simon BRADY (Ph: +61 2 62012587 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 MR Simon BRADY (Ph: +61 2 62012587 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184398) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
In this unit, you will learn about the professional, legal and ethical challenges for sports journalists and sports media practitioners. Through a series of 'real world' case studies, you will develop awareness about the complexities of reporting on important social issues, controversies and personal stories that are part of the breadth of topics sports journalists are required to cover. You will gain a greater understanding of the relationship between athletes and the media, and the role of public relations in sports news. The unit examines how sport and media influence each other, and the competition between the media and sporting organisations as providers of sports content.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Evaluate the professional challenges for sports journalists dealing with athletes, coaches, administrators and organisations;
2. Analyse the ethical and legal considerations in reporting on social and health issues related to sport; and
3. Distinguish the difference between media and sporting organisations as the providers of sports news content.
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- MGAR01 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARB104 Bachelor of Communication and Media (Sports Media)
- ARSC02 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR02 Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- SCAR01 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARMG01 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management