Game On: Sports Journalism Foundations (11092.1)
|Level:||Introductory Unit Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 1 MR Simon BRADY (Ph: +61 2 62012587 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 1 MR Simon BRADY (Ph: +61 2 62012587 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184383) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit will provide you with an understanding of how journalism is practiced in the sports media industries. You will be introduced to the fundamental skills and concepts of sports journalism in a multi-platform publishing environment. This will set you on the path to developing research and writing skills to be able to report sporting events, on and off the field. You will also explore the professional and ethical differences between reporting as a journalist for a media outlet and reporting as a journalist for a sporting organisation.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Write a basic sports news story;
2. Complete basic research for a sports news story and verify information gathered to ensure accuracy;
3. Compare and differentiate the delivery of sport news content on a range of publishing platforms; and
4. Analyse the range of sports news content for different purposes and different audiences.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 1, 2019
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 1, 2019
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour interactive workshop on-campus per week.
Students should have a basic understanding of the Australian and global sporting landscape.
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- MGAR01 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARB104 Bachelor of Communication and Media (Sports Media)
- ARSC02 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR02 Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- SCAR01 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARMG01 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management