|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 MR Scott BRIDGES (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193928) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184370) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces you to the real life rhythm of deadline-driven journalism. You will use your foundation of multi-platform reporting and editorial skills to find and report real stories to a weekly deadline. You will publish your original text, audio, photographic and video stories to innovative publishing channels. You will also be introduced to the foundations for entrepreneurship to prepare for careers in freelancing and other non-traditional communications roles.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an appreciation of the shifting demands placed on journalists, producers and editors working in digital editorial news environments;
2. Manage your own time and the time of colleagues while working under deadline pressures;
3. Demonstrate familiarity with using a content management system (CMS) and the editorial procedures required for news publication;
4. Develop and demonstrate appropriate skills and professionalism in the production of news media for contemporary journalism; and
5. Develop and apply critical judgment in the publication of material, including legal constraints.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
One 3 hour seminar on-campus per week, two 3 hour intensive workshops on-campus per week for 3 weeks, and one 3 hour online session per week for 6 weeks.
For students enrolled in ARB102 Bachelor of Communication and Media (Journalism) must complete 11084 Journalism Now & Next AND 11085 Street Stories, OR for students enrolled in ARB104 Bachelor of Communication and Media (Sports Media) must complete 11093 Sideline Eye: Sports Reporting.
All students must have successfully completed 36 credit points.
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- MGAR01 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARB102 Bachelor of Communication and Media (Journalism)
- ARB104 Bachelor of Communication and Media (Sports Media)
- ARSC02 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Laws
- ARAR02 Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- SCAR01 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARMG01 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management