Journalism Now and Next (11084.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR David NOLAN (Ph: +61 2 62015184 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193908) - View
- UC College Trimester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, UCC-BRUCE (192479) - View
- Winter Term, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (192524) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184287) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit will provide you with a thorough understanding of the changing nature of journalism in our global media-saturated society. You will be introduced to the fundamentals of journalism news writing, research and ethics in a multi-platform publishing environment. You will also explore contemporary journalism issues in context including reporting diversity and mental illness, and debate the role of journalism in its many forms.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Write a simple news story;
2. Complete basic research and verification for a news story to ensure accuracy;
3. Develop an understanding of news and current affairs from a critical professional perspective;
4. Identify the role and responsibilities of journalism in contemporary Australia and basic understanding of ethical and defamation issues facing journalists; and
5. Discuss the changing character of the news media industry, industry economics and impacts of convergence on traditional media and institutions.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Winter Term, 2019
- Semester 1, 2019
- UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
Three hours of an on-campus lecture and interactive workshop per week.
5565 Introduction to Journalism.
- 912AA Bachelor of Arts in Architecture
- 793AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies
- 992AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 818AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Commerce
- 221JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 222JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 223JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 224JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 280JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- 369JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Journalism
- 821AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 822AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Management
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- 357JA Bachelor of Building and Construction Management
- MGAR01 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARB102 Bachelor of Communication and Media (Journalism)
- ARSC02 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Laws
- 206JA Bachelor of Design
- ARAR02 Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- 215JA Bachelor of Heritage, Museums and Conservation
- 288JA Bachelor of Industrial Design
- 289JA Bachelor of Interior Architecture
- 320JA Bachelor of Journalism
- 290JA Bachelor of Landscape Design
- SCAR01 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- 984AA Bachelor of Writing
- ARMG01 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- 951AA Diploma of Communication
- 952AA Diploma of Communication (Extended)