Principles of Typography and Layout (11063.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Design and the Built Environment|
UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 Mrs Ola PAK (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 MS Caren FLORANCE (Ph: +61 2 62012972 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, TQB-SB (204219) - View
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (199121) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ONLINE, BRUCE (193475) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193474) - View
- UC College Trimester 3, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, UCC-BRUCE (192489) - View
- UC College Trimester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, UCC-BRUCE (191965) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ONLINE, BRUCE (192014) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184240) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit aims to acquaint students with the significance of typography within the discipline of visual communication design, its history and as a continuing practice. The unit examines the 20th century art and design movements which have defined the field of typography. Through a mix of research and practical exploration, students connect historical typographic foundations with contemporary practices and technologies. Students examine a diversity of typographic applications from the pragmatics of long-form document design to the expressive capabilities of display faces and custom type forms.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify the impact of typographic history and its relation to contemporary practice;
2. Analyse and apply skills in letterpress and screen printing techniques; and
3. Develop innovative applications of typography as a creative communication form.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Semester 1, 2020
Semester 1, 2019
- All Content is Delivered Online (ONLINE)
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
- UC College Trimester 3, 2019
- UC College Trimester 1, 2019
Three hours of on campus studio and project based learning.
Work Integrated Learning
- MGAR02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Design
- ARB203 Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication Design)
- ARAR02 Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARB303 Bachelor of Digital Design (Visual Communication Design)
- SCAR03 Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Design
- SCAR04 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Design
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science
- 199JA Diploma of Design
- 346JA Diploma of Design (Extended)