Visual Communication Theory and Principles (11062.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Design and the Built Environment|
UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 UC College Trimester 2 MR James YOUNG (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 UC College Trimester 1 MR James YOUNG (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Mehves CETINKAYA SENDAS (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 DR Mehves CETINKAYA SENDAS (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (195386) - View
- UC College Trimester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, UCC-BRUCE (203245) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ONLINE, BRUCE (192012) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184249) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces ways visual language can be used to convey ideas, information and messages in the fields of communication, interaction and industrial design. During the course of study students learn different theories of visual communication: including human perception, psychology of colour, and principles of design. Consequently, students will engage in applying different theories in designing and evaluating visual content through a series of assignments.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify functions of visuals in communication;
2. Develop visualisation skills and techniques for solving visual communication problems; and
3. Identify concepts in the psychology of perception, colour theory, cognition and aesthetics and their relation to visual design and communication.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
Semester 2, 2019
- All Content is Delivered Online (ONLINE)
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
Three hours on-campus studio and project based learning activity per week.
8602 Introduction to Graphic Design Practice.
- MGAR02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Design
- ARB203 Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication Design)
- ARAR02 Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARB303 Bachelor of Digital Design (Visual Communication Design)
- SCAR03 Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Design
- SCAR04 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Design
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 327JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science