Design Culture and Society (11044.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Design and the Built Environment|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 MR Gowrie WATERHOUSE (Ph: +61 2 62012595 ) ONLINE 2020 Semester 2 MR Gowrie WATERHOUSE (Ph: +61 2 62012595 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 MR Gowrie WATERHOUSE (Ph: +61 2 62012595 ) ONLINE 2021 Semester 2 MR Gowrie WATERHOUSE (Ph: +61 2 62012595 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
In this unit students will recognise design as an integral part of culture and society through recent history, contemporary practice and futuristic visions. Through analysis of case studies from the most critical and cutting edge designs and technologies of different disciplines in crucial periods in time (since the industrial revolution to our days) we will discuss how design professions and practice have evolved to a contemporary multidisciplinary practice. Key examples of designs and designers in different media (including, but not limited to books, magazines, films and websites) will also be analysed and contextualised. The unit will explore past, present and futuristic roles of design in society, by understanding movements, trends and lifestyles through analysis and discussion of influences and relationships between design 'products' (including graphics, objects, environments and digital outcomes, among others) and different people within multiple cultures and contexts.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify key periods in the history of design;
2. Compare and contrast design works from notable designers in their field; and
3. Articulate past, present and future roles of design in society in relation to culture.
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour tutorial on-campus per week.
9483 Design History.
- MGAR02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Design
- ARB201 Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design)
- ARB202 Bachelor of Design (Interaction Design)
- ARB203 Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication Design)
- ARAR02 Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- SCAR03 Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Design
- SCAR04 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Design
- 951AA Diploma of Communication
- 952AA Diploma of Communication (Extended)