BE: History and Culture (11016.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Design and the Built Environment|
UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Winter Term (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (199261) - View
- Winter Term, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (194876) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (194134) - View
- Winter Term, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (191832) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (184269) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit explores selected major building types across various civilizations with particular focus on typological transformation in reference to issues that concern the cultural, technical, material and territorial. The unit provides both general and particular knowledge essential for the realization of architecture across the history of diverse geographies. Among other issues, this unit will attempt to communicate cultural identity through the ways that spaces are formed and surfaces are decorated; how a particular technical innovation and socio-cultural transformation initiated a division between design and construction, but also contributed to the emergence of concepts such as national identity and heritage.
Reading selected literature relevant to each weekly topic, and examining building types through drawings and models, students will enhance their knowledge of how cultural appropriation of space, form and surface attains built-form.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Explain the interconnectivity between culture, form, space, in various building types, from small to large scale projects;
2. Distinguish and categorise architecture across various periods of history;
3. Analyse and explain the organization of a particular building type in reference to function, structure, and cultural nuances; and
4. Make recommendations for modifications to certain building types drawing on a range of established theoretical positions and ideas.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Winter Term, 2020
- Semester 1, 2020
- Winter Term, 2019
- Semester 1, 2019
Three hours of on-campus lectures and workshops per week.
9483 Design History and 9774 History & Theory 1: Introduction to Architecture History.
- 912AA Bachelor of Arts in Architecture
- 793AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies
- 992AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 818AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Commerce
- 221JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 222JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 223JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 224JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 280JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- 369JA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Journalism
- 821AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 822AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Management
- 357JA Bachelor of Building and Construction Management
- 206JA Bachelor of Design
- 215JA Bachelor of Heritage, Museums and Conservation
- 288JA Bachelor of Industrial Design
- 289JA Bachelor of Interior Architecture
- 320JA Bachelor of Journalism
- 290JA Bachelor of Landscape Design
- 984AA Bachelor of Writing
- ABB001 Bachelor of the Built Environment (Architecture)
- ABB002 Bachelor of the Built Environment (Interior Architecture)
- ABB003 Bachelor of the Built Environment (Landscape Architecture)