Critical Reasoning and Academic Literacy PG (10436.1)
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Siewimm TAN (Ph: +61 2 62015697 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 2 DR Siewimm TAN (Ph: +61 2 62015697 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 2 DR Siewimm TAN (Ph: +61 2 62015697 ) ONLINE 2021 Semester 1 DR Siewimm TAN (Ph: +61 2 62015697 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 1 DR Siewimm TAN (Ph: +61 2 62015697 ) ONLINE 2021 Semester 2 DR Siewimm TAN (Ph: +61 2 62015697 ) ON-CAMPUS
UC - Canberra, Online
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Siewimm TAN (Ph: +61 2 62015697 ) ONLINE
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ONLINE, BRUCE-ONL (203614) - View
- Semester 2, 2020, ONLINE, BRUCE (203250) - View
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (197338) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (197336) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit focuses on the development of critical reasoning and academic literacy with the aim of enhancing students' capacities to complete a broad range of assessment types at a progressively higher level while maintaining academic integrity. Students will learn to critically assess arguments in academic writing, to construct sound arguments, and to make effective grammatical choices to produce high quality oral and written work.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Define and critically evaluate an argument presented in a text;
2. Demonstrate and justify the selection and implementation of effective oral presentation strategies;
3. Demonstrate strategic use of grammatical resources to achieve coherence and cohesion in written work; and
4. Construct a critically informed argument in a piece of research-based writing that reflects academic integrity.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 2, 2020
- All Content is Delivered Online (ONLINE)
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 2, 2020
- UC - Canberra, Online
Three hours of lectures and/or interactive workshops on campus per week.