Clinical Optics and Dispensing (10410.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Optometry|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR An TRUONG (Ph: +61 2 62063949 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 DR An TRUONG (Ph: +61 2 62063949 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (195831) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (189915) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
An integrative approach to optical theory and its clinical application, particularly in the areas of correction of refractive error and dispensing of optical appliances. Topics addressed include: optical correction of refractive error, ophthalmic lens materials, coatings and treatments. Optics of ophthalmic lenses, including advanced multifocal lens design. Magnification, aberrations, and lens design. Optical instrumentation and clinical application.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Be able to explain and apply optical theory to the measurement of refractive error;
2. Be able to explain and apply optical theory to the correction of refractive error;
3. Be able to explain the design of ophthalmic lenses with the aim of minimizing aberrations using knowledge of lens design principles and theory;
4. Be able to use optical instruments correctly and accurately;
5. Be able to explain the optical principles of selected optical instruments; and
6. Be able to select and dispense appropriate ophthalmic appliances based on case information and understanding of optical theory.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 2, 2020
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 2, 2020
4 hours per week made up of 2 hour lecture and 2 hour tutorial/practical.
10286 Ophthalmic Optics
This unit is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Vision Science.