Ocular Pharmacology (10409.1)
|Level:||Advanced Unit Level|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Optometry|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 2 DR Nicola ANSTICE (Ph: +61 2 62068582 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 2 DR Nicola ANSTICE (Ph: +61 2 62068582 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (189913) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit will provide students with the knowledge and understanding of ocular pharmacology and the effects that drug interactions have on different ocular and visual systems.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Select appropriate ocular pharmaceutical agents for cycloplegia, mydriasis, and topical anaesthesia;
2. Choose appropriate topical and oral medications to treat allergic, inflammatory and infectious eye diseases based on pathophysiological mechanisms, best available research evidence and patient preference;
3. Select appropriate topical medications for the treatment of glaucoma;
4. Accurately write an ocular therapeutic prescription; and
5. Instruct patients on the use of pharmacological and non-pharmacological topical medications including providing accurate information on the dose, frequency, timing, methods of installation and hygiene associated with ocular agents.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 2, 2019
On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Laboratory Reports (25% )
- Final Examination (45% This is a MUST PASS assessment item - students must achieve a minimum mark of 50% in this assessment item to pass the unit. If an answer provided by a student is likely to cause patient harm, the student may receive a zero grade for that assessment item. )
- Mid-semester Exam (30% )
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 2, 2019
Four hours per week, consisting of 2 hour lecture and 2 hour tutorial/practical.
10285 Ocular Anatomy and Physiology AND
10293 Pharmacology for Health Professionals