Addiction Counselling PG (10340.1)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Counselling|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 2 DR Christine MOULET (Ph: +61 2 62015959 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 2 DR Christine MOULET (Ph: +61 2 62015959 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (188093) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (175465) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
In this unit in Addiction Counselling, students will deepen their theoretical understanding and counselling skills through consideration of how addictive behaviours impacts upon the client's situation, either as one of the primary issues or as a related presenting issue. Areas covered will include: assessment and treatment options, understanding of the change process when addiction is involved, and co-morbidity issues. This unit will present some specific theories, models and skills relevant to addiction counselling. Students will be encouraged to develop a research-informed, integrative approach to working with this issue during counselling.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify and analyse assessment and treatment issues in the field of addiction counselling and formulate and implement ethical and professional practices;
2. Demonstrate a high level of competence in a variety of counselling skills and be able to apply these skills in working with clients with addiction issues;
3. Demonstrate a critical in-depth understanding of major theories, models and techniques specific to the area of addiction counselling; and
4. Act responsibly, ethically and professionally as practitioners in the context of counselling practice, and within the current community and societal values and attitudes to this issue.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 2, 2019
On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Assessment 1: Media case study (30% )
- Assignment 2 Student/s presentation on a Topic (from list of Topics provided by the Tutor) The presentations will be conducted by individuals or small groups, depending on class size. (30% )
- Assignment 3:Reflective Journal and Critically Reflective Essay (40% )
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 2, 2018
- Semester 2, 2019
On-campus 3 hours a week for 12 weeks.
Must have passed Counselling Skills and Models PG, 7743, AND Counselling Theories and Concepts PG, 7744.
Must be enrolled in Graduate Diploma in Counselling, 342JA, OR Master of Counselling, 341JA, OR Permission of the Course Convener.
Applicants are expected to demonstrate a level of mature life experience and self awareness shown by the capacity to reflect on and learn from experience, including being open to giving and receiving positive and challenging feedback.
10340 Addiction Counselling PG is incompatible with 7746 Counselling Applications PG 1 for students who completed 7746 in 2012.