Professional Orientation (Design) (10336.3)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Design and the Built Environment|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 MRS Mikaela DANVERS (Ph: +61 2 62012167 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 1 MRS Mikaela DANVERS (Ph: +61 2 62012167 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (198311) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190976) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190975) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182803) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (174796) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
In this unit students will be introduced to the diverse opportunities in the world of design. We will consider aspects of contemporary demands of the profession including social responsibility, ethical and sustainability issues.
Through engagement with industry, community and professional bodies' students will gain an understanding of global discipline knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform as responsible, capable design professionals. Students will start their career awareness and planning through approaches such as five year plans and eportfolios.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify the personal skills, capabilities and knowledge necessary to meet the work standards expected by the design professions;
2. Synthesise career planning and industry knowledge to map out personal academic and professional goals;
3. Demonstrate an understanding of professionalism and social responsibility in design practice; and
4. Demonstrate an understanding of professionalism in an academic context in terms of academic integrity and responsibility.
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour workshop/masterclass per week.
10333 Professional Orientation (Arts),
10334 Professional Orientation (Built Environment),
10335 Professional Orientation (Communication and Media)
9799 Foundations of Professional Planning
- MGAR02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Design
- ARB201 Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design)
- ARB202 Bachelor of Design (Interaction Design)
- ARB203 Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication Design)
- ARAR02 Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- 164JA Bachelor of Graphic Design
- 220JA Bachelor of Graphic Design/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 288JA Bachelor of Industrial Design
- SCAR03 Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Design
- SCAR04 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Design
- 267JA Bachelor of Web Design and Production