Professional Orientation (Communication and Media) (10335.3)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Arts and Communications|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 MRS Shara RANASINGHE (Ph: +61 2 62012274 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (198309) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (191116) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (191115) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182801) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (174795) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
In this unit you will start to understand what it means to be a professional communicator and the variety of career opportunities available to you in the fast-paced media and communications industries. Co-taught by academics and industry adjuncts with involvement from student clubs, you will explore the historical, social and political contexts to these industries and the impacts of the changing media landscape on professions, together with the influence of these industries on individuals and society. You will identify the professional skills and knowledge needed in your profession and will start your career awareness and planning through approaches such as five year plans and eportfolios.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify the personal skills, capabilities and knowledge necessary to meet the work standards expected by the communications and media professions in the workplace;
2. Synthesise career planning and industry knowledge to map out personal academic and professional goals;
3. Understand the historical and contemporary contexts of the communication and media industries, the diverse opportunities within them and how students might play a role in the future; and
4. Demonstrate an understanding of professionalism in an academic context in terms of academic integrity and responsibility.
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour workshop/masterclass per week.
10333 Professional Orientation (Arts),
10334 Professional Orientation (Built Environment),
10336 Professional Orientation (Design)
9799 Foundations in Professional Planning
- ARAR01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- MGAR01 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARB101 Bachelor of Communication and Media (Corporate and Public Communication)
- ARB102 Bachelor of Communication and Media (Journalism)
- ARB103 Bachelor of Communication and Media (Marketing Communication)
- ARB104 Bachelor of Communication and Media (Sports Media)
- ARSC02 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Laws
- 211JA Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 213JA Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 214JA Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- ARAR02 Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Communication and Media
- 320JA Bachelor of Journalism
- SCAR01 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- ARMG01 Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management