Professional Orientation (Built Environment) (10334.3)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||School of Design and the Built Environment|
UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 Mr Tom JAMES (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 DR Hitomi NAKANISHI (Ph: +61 2 62063942 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (199434) - View
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (198308) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (198307) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190974) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190973) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182802) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (174793) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit explores the concept of professional practice as it relates to the diverse work practitioners of the Built Environment produce, and the processes by which they produce it. The unit covers the aspirations and practicalities of professional operation and considers contemporary demands for new levels of professionalism that address emergent global transformations and challenges. Through industry, community and professional bodies' engagement students will develop an understanding of the nuances of professional identity and practice as they relate to the various disciplines of the Built Environment; gaining an understanding of required knowledge and expertise and the way in which these are applied within the diverse demands of professional practice.
Methodologically, students will examine the diverse employment opportunities available to them, including creative and entrepreneurial approaches to professional employment, and will start their career awareness and planning through approaches such as five year plans and eportfolios.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify the personal skills, capabilities and knowledge necessary to meet the work standards expected by the built environment professions in the workplace;
2. Synthesise career planning and industry knowledge to map out personal academic and professional goals;
3. Explain the interdependencies and nuances of the various built environment professions and identify the evolving responsibilities of the built environment professional to address contemporary global challenges; and
4. Demonstrate an understanding of professionalism in an academic context in terms of academic integrity and responsibility.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 1, 2020
One 1 hour seminar and one 2 hour workshop/masterclass per week.
10333 Professional Orientation (Arts),
10335 Professional Orientation (Communication and Media),
10336 Professional Orientation (Design)
9799 Foundations of Professional Planning
- 912AA Bachelor of Arts in Architecture
- 357JA Bachelor of Building and Construction Management
- ABB101 Bachelor of Building and Construction Management (Honours)
- 206JA Bachelor of Design
- 289JA Bachelor of Interior Architecture
- 290JA Bachelor of Landscape Design
- ABB001 Bachelor of the Built Environment (Architecture)
- ABB002 Bachelor of the Built Environment (Interior Architecture)
- ABB003 Bachelor of the Built Environment (Landscape Architecture)